Mr. Fenneyman is now finished! This has been so much fun and I stumbled on a couple of great techniques for decorating the base. The mushrooms are made from paperclay per Michelle's instructions, but when I got impatient for them to dry, I used my heat gun. Then came the happy accident......it scorched the mushroom! When I saw that it gave a natural look, I just continued on with the heat gun being very careful not to actually burn the paperclay. Now the mushrooms look just like the ones that grow in my yard! I wanted a woodland look to the base and didn't want to spend money for the "grass" that's used by hobbyists so I scooped up a handful of sawdust, mixed it with craft glue and paint, then spread it out unevenly on the base. I added some wildflowers and twigs and VOILA! The sawdust adhered well and I'm very pleased with the result.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
A few weeks ago, I decided to take an online class at Doll Street Dreamers. I took Michelle Munzone's "Mr. Fenneyman" class because I wanted to learn how to use paperclay. Michelle is an awesome dollmaker and teacher and this is the first time I've really followed through with an online class. I had a great time making him and playing with paperclay. Here are close ups of his head and hand.
Posted by Terry at 11:53 AM