Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Granny Stumpledorf

I was so hooked by my first doll I couldn't wait for the arrival of my first pattern from Dollmakers Journey. Ute Vasina's "Mopsy" pattern was originally a pin cushion, but my dear Dad said she needed clothes so I repositioned the limbs, dressed her and sat her in a twig chair. She was transitioned into "Granny Stumpledorf."
Next came "Ichabod," another of Ute's patterns.




















My addiction was becoming stronger so I enlarged the pattern and "Harry" was born. Harry's on the right. His sandals are made of craft foam and elastic.



Having been severely bitten by the dolly bug, I ordered my first book by Patti Medaris Culea, "Creative Cloth Doll Making." Patti inspired me so much that I now own four of her books and am eagerly awaiting the fifth. I haven't made pictures yet of the dolls I'm working on from her books, but will upload them soon.



As my skills increased, I tried patterns from other popular designers. Here are the results.



From Alison Marano's "Elfshot." His boots are made from real leather and my Dad made the slingshot from a twig.















This is "Alethea." She's my first mermaid and is a wall doll. I spent days overlapping and gluing sequins as scales. Pattern designer is Donna Schramek. Alethea is the first doll I have sold.




















I decided to try a little something different so this one's made from Kezi Matthews' "Millicent."

















I fell in love with Arley Berryhill's "Minerva" and had the pattern for months before I attempted it. Once I started, it was hard to stop. I love the way she turned out. She has many hours of beading and the fabrics are very shimmery. It's hard to see that in the photos. She's called "Neptune's Daughter."
"














That's all for today. I'll post again soon.

6 comments:

  1. O MY Gosh TERRY I did not know U had it in you!! These are BEAUTIFUL!!! AMAZING!! I wish you the Greastest Success.. U have come along way MY Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous!! Wonderful works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous mermaids! Love your faces. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry,
    Great blog - I read your post on FOCD. I too have a blog and really enjoy putting what I find inspiring out in the world. You can check out my blog at www.threadsofinspiration.blogspot.com
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry, You are very good at doll making! I love the trolls and Kezi's pattern turned out wonderful. Your mermaid from Arley's pattern is exquisite! Congrats on your sale of the wall mermaid. That was the first pattern I made, then I went to Kezi and on from there! I am a fabric addict too and also quilt.
    hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete